Geriatric physical therapy or Geriatric rehabilitation is the branch of medicine that deals with physical issues in the elderly & their management.
With increased age, patients often face many physical and emotional changes that can affect the level of function and their well-being. Rehabilitation of geriatric patients is imperative for the patients' well-being and for society.
Objective of Geriatric Physical Therapy is to help maintain functional independence in the elderly & returning a patient to the pre-injury quality of life. Geriatric Physical therapist develop deeper knowledge of conditions, ailments & diseases of the elderly
Management of Ortho conditions
- Pre & post-surgery rehabilitation
- Joint Pain (Arthritis)
- Fracture and soft tissue injury
- Osteoporosis (Weakening of bones)
Management of Neuro conditions
- Parkinson’s (Tremor, rigid muscles, problems with balance or walking)
- Alzheimer’s (Problems with memory & thinking)
- Nerve impingement
- Vertigo [loss of balance, Giddiness/Loss of equilibrium]
- Sensory disturbances
- Cardiac & Pulmonary conditions,
- Urinary incontinence
- Posture corrections
- Tension headache
KITES geriatric physical therapists specialize in providing therapy for such conditions in older adults & deliver the same with caring attitude both at home & the neighborhood clinic.